Tuesday, January 26, 2010

New tools and new projects.





I took my first class in many years in November. It was tube setting for stones at MetalWerx in Waltham. The class was four weeks. Once a week for 4 hours. When I finished the class I had learned the fundamentals to setting stones.

All excited I bought a Bench Mate, ready to get started. Well...busy season, Christmas, birthdays, etc. happened. Finally this weekend my husband put the bench mate on my bench and today I set my first stone. It was a turquoise cabochon. It took a while to get a good feel of how much pressure to use on the burr but after a few tries I had a nice tube setting that I used for my Ring of a Day challenge.

I am so excited to practice more. I get requests foe engagement rings all the time and I can't wait until I have the confidence to say...yes! I wish I had more time to dedicate to this but if I take one day a week in the studio to practice then I am sure that it won't be long until I am making myself and others rings with bling.

Say posted!

No comments: